Consolation for the Temporarily Disheartened

This blog has apparently been left to dust for a long time. My purpose of creating it was actually to document my wandering (ramblin') thoughts on a range of topics consisting of politics, environment and social commentary. Also, I needed to practise my writing skills. I had thought that it could be a sort of journal, but I am far too lazy to write monthly, let alone daily, entries as evident by the lack of posts here.

Anyway, I am done ruminating on that. I shall now begin another personal entry. Just an observation really. After all, one's opinion can't be held as absolute truth, isn't it?

It is a fact that in life, you will come across many insults. Some of them may be warranted but nevertheless, there are few of those criticisms which you can't just seem to shake off. I am sure you've read and you know that these criticisms usually come from a deep-seated feeling of insecurity, placed in an individual who is perhaps dissatisfied with their life or utterly petty to bring other people down to their level.

Well, don't stoop to their level. I am sure they may think they have all the superior advantages but rest assured, they are distinctly unaware of how much those advantages actually depend on you. You can't have a fight with someone if you don't quite think they are worthy to notice in the first place and subsequently try to overpower them, can you?

The simplest solution then, lies in not succumbing to what they actually want, which is your reaction to their insults. We can ignore them. Not respond to anything they say or do. Not even be affected by their insults. All this is because they don't matter. They are simply not worthy to be listened to, thus their opinions are not valid.

(I am convinced that a critic who is simply concerned about you will be able to make their point come across in a respectful manner. Here, we are only talking about petty insults like 'you're ugly', or 'you're stupid'--words that do not actually carry any substantive proof because these are subjective opinions. Respectful people do not regress to childhood fighting words.)

I suppose I am a sensitive soul, but I can be quite aloof sometimes. Words do not really hurt me unless they come from someone who I really care or respect.

I do not seek anybody's approval, much less the society's, however, it is certainly not a bad feeling to have people have your back that will make your cause or your life much less lonely.

Artists convey their feelings about it through their paintings. Pop singers croon in their songs about the necessity to keep believing in yourself and be damned to those other people who simply will not believe in you. Films teach us the underdogs will always win once they start believing in themselves more. Hitchcock gave his definition of happiness as a clear horizon which is populated by creative energies instead of destructive energies. Only when you get rid of the negative energy will you be able to create something of value.

Writers write in order to get less lonely, and convert those negative energies into something fruitful. This blog is not unlike a sanctuary for persistent feelings and echoic pensées.

Alas, ultimately, we persist. We refuse to back down, we do let go of those temporary distractions, and eventually, we will rise above them all.

Comments

Popular Posts